Friday 6 January 2012

biggles south east asia debut

5th January 2012

Chiang Mai, Thailand


                   This whole trip so far has been amazing but I have lamented the lack of some decent house music and as previously mentioned I've sorely missed being able to have a mix on my 1210's. Well last night I finally got my much needed fix at the humorously named THC bar in downtown Chiang Mai. In the planning for this trip and upon the recommendation of my mate Jambo, I burnt off a few Cd's packed with some tunes before I left in the hope that I might be able play a set somewhere on my travels. On Christmas eve and indeed my first night in Chiang Mai headed out with a group from the little bird hostel and rocked up at the THC bar. Fueled by a few Changs I swaggered over to the decks I had spied in the corner and got chatting to the girl who was playing some wicked tech-house and asked if she ever let Farangs (foreigners) play some tunes. Her name was Dang Mo, a really cool local Chaing Mai girl and she replied, 'Yeaaaa mateee! If's dey is goood though, ot'erwise I tell them ta joggg on!' Fully expecting to hear a Thai voice reply this outburst took me by surprise, and after speaking with her awhile I found out she had dated several northerners from England and as a result her accent was an amalgamation of some Scouse, Geordie and a dash of Manc. A highly confusing combination but through the clashing dialects I gathered that I could come by with some Cd's and she would give me a chance to play. After several failed attempts to get down there due to a few hangovers and a jungle trek, I finally got my act together last night and popped down for 9pm expecting to get a cheeky 30min set, an hour if I was lucky.... Three hours later I was still going and had gradually built up the tempo starting with some jamming slow disco house all the way to some thumping deep house by the time I finished at midnight. Dead Rose Music Company, Ooft! all the way up to Solomun, David August and Moodymanc got a play and by the end I was thoroughly enjoying myself as the bar had slowly got busier as the night wore on. A few people bought me a beer and got invited for a drink when I had finished by two girls from London who said they listen to the tunes I play all the time back home! Dang said beers were on the house and it seems she was impressed as she asked if I was going to be around in Chiang Mai for much longer. The reason being was that she was heading to Vietnam and needed a resident to take over while she was gone! Unfortunately I joked that the Thai government wanted rid of me as my visa was running out but thanked her for the kind words. Had a great night and hopefully this is the first of a few sets for FZ out here!

x

Was a nice little set up, finally got to play around with a DJM 800 as well.

Me and Dang Mo.
Me, Karen and Hayley. A couple of ravers from London town just north of the river, got a big group together at THC  and went out after the bar had closed to finish off the rest of the night at a club up the road! 


No comments:

Post a Comment