Friday 22 June 2012

a sunrise over take titicaca

22nd May 2012

Puno, Peru

                 Returning to Cusco at about 1am on the 21st May 2012, tired but content having fulfilled my Machu Picchu pilgrimage, it suddenly occurred to me that my time  in South America was rapidly running out. Double checking the flight details, I saw that only three weeks remained before I had to be on a plane back to England which departed from the city of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil over 3000km away across the continentThe whole width of South America therefore needed to be traversed in about twenty days and with next to no money for flights it would have to be conquered through some very, very long coach journeys. Waking around midday, I checked out of the Bright hostel and got myself down to the Cusco bus station to catch the next available bus to La Paz - returning to the scene of the crime so to speak- where I planned on catching up with Laura and James who had returned there for a few days before making a break for Rio. On the way back to the Bolivian melting pot that is La Paz, the bus stopped briefly in the city of Puno which sits proudly on the banks of the vast Lake Titicaca; a huge expanse of water that spreads itself across the border connecting Peru with Bolivia. Sitting at about 3800m above sea level in the heart of the Andes mountain range, it is both the highest lake in the world and indeed the largest lake in South America. Arriving in Puno while dawn was breaking, I was treated to a magnificent light show as the sun rose  from the waters of Titicaca to produce a symphony of colour for the lens of my waiting camera. I hope you enjoy the photographs! 

x









No comments:

Post a Comment